Pips Skype Radio Training Sessions from the comfort of your own home. BOOK HERE.
Michelle Owen. Freelance Radio Presenter. Presenter. Sky Sports.
5. Be in it for the long game. I started presenting on local radio unpaid when I was 16. I did not get paid work until I was 21! If you are serious about working in radio most people will tell you the same. At times you will feel impatient, but you never know what is around the corner!
4. Always, always be early! You only make a first impression once. Get the earlier train or bus and arrive a few minutes early.
3. Network. It is as they say, not what you know sometimes, but who you know. Don’t go to people asking for a job, but get to know them and build a relationship.
2. Be yourself. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, but you will get found out. You are unique, don’t copy other people’s styles, you will find your own…which leads me to my number 1 tip!
1. Get as much experience as possible! Find your own voice, this is the best way to do it. You will make mistakes and learn from them. I did (without exaggeration) thousands of hours of voluntary and unpaid presenting. Every minute was worth it.